Monday, June 20, 2011

The Little Things



Yesterday was Father's Day.... ALL day I tried to think of what my Father's Day post was going to be. What could I write that would be both a tribute to my Father and not be redundant of years past. I was tired (I was at a concert the night before) I was sick (I've been battling a stomach bug for a few days) and I really didn't want to toss something up that I hadn't really thought about and wouldn't be proud to have on the blog.

I'm sorry it's late Daddy, but here it is:

I'm searching for photos, pictures of milestones of our life together. My wedding, births of my children, my graduations the prom. I found a few in my gigantic box of pictures in the basement, but what struck me as I was looking at all the photos was... my favorite ones? The pictures that made me smile the most were the ones that were just.... captured. Little moments of everyday-ness that made me happy I was holding them in my hand. Here are a few.

Waiting for you on Friday nights to have dinner at the marina. You are so handsome in a suit and wingtips. Eating dinner on the back of the boat.

Eating dinner and realizing it was time to take pictures for the church directory - actually mom remembered - but look at how dapper you both looked (I remember we left the dinner table and got ready in 15 min.).
The time you and mommy hosted the McAlindins before my senior prom and you and my future Father in law realized you were both scotch (drinking) men and navy men.

Never making me feel like I was too old (or big) to sit on your lap

Having Colin and Graham help you lower the flag at the Yacht Club and hosting dinner for the family.
Having Graham 'help' you with yard work.

Little glimpses into my memories and my life with you. I Love you: I have never doubted how much you love me, our family and your commitment to providing us with more than we could ever hope. More importantly, I remember never being afraid to talk to you and having you treat me like a human being. What a lucky girl I am to have you. What a lucky girl I am to remember the little things. What a lucky girl I am to have married a man whose entire Fatherhood is about appreciating the little things:














1 comment:

Estella said...

Well said! Can't wait to see you, your family, your parents. xo