Thursday, November 27, 2008

I am Thankful for Cookies




Baba was my maternal grandmother, she passed away when I was 9.... For every special event, I try to bring Baba's Sugar Cookies - it makes me feel like she is there. They are the old fashioned roll out, cut out kind that are simple to make, but take some time. While I make these I think about my mother and my grandmother. I think about happy Christmas times, and funny Halloween cookie decorations. I think about decorating the holly ones (because I am better at those, mom!) and staying up late at night to get ready for Cookie Parties.

Baba's Sugar Cookies (make them with love)

1 stick butter 2 cups four
1 cup sugar 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg 1/2 tsp salt
1 T. milk
1 tsp vanilla

Soften butter and mix sugar, egg, milk and vanilla together. Mix in all other ingredients. Form into ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill. Take from refrigerator and roll out dough. Cut with cookie cutters. Use up all scraps.Bake in 350 oven about 10-12 min or until done (my dad likes them dark!)

Frosting:

1 stick butter  
1 box confections sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 T. milk
Mix together with electric mixer - add food coloring.

I was thankful that my mother taught me from a very early age, that even though someone you love has died, they are still very much a part of our lives. They live through memories, smells, dreams, basements, knitted and crocheted garments made especially for you... and yes, even in delicious cookies. Happy Thanksgiving! 

No comments: