Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Yes Colin, There Is A Santa Claus


Last night I went to pick up Son #1 from piano lessons. It is a quick drive and last night I was by myself when I picked him up. As he hopped in the front seat (asking permission to do so first) I could tell that he needed to speak to me about something. I got that pit in my stomach as he carefully chose his words:
"Mom, if I ask you something, will you tell me the truth?"
  -Holy crap was the only thing that came to my mind. I put the car in park. I said to him, "Honey, I will tell you the truth if I can...."
  -As his lips began to quiver he took a deep breath, "You can tell me, Mom, I can handle it you know...."
  -Oh my, what is coming next? "I told you that I would tell you the truth, honey."
"Is there really a Santa Claus, or is it just you and Daddy?"
  -When I tell you the look on his face was pure Angelic, one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen,  I will remember that look for the rest of my life. And I did what I had to, I gave him the facts.
"Honey, it is true, your father and I do buy a lot of the gifts at Christmas time, but you have to remember the Spirit of Christmas and Santa Claus is a powerful, wonderful gift itself.... it is an honor to be a part of such a spectacular thing.... yes honey, there is a Santa Claus"

"I knew you would tell me the truth Mom, thank you...." 
  -The relief and brilliant smile that came over that boy's face was again, the most beautiful thing I have witnessed.....

Thank you Santa, I have already received my present. Merry Christmas!
(I am SO Glad I didn't have to lie)

1 comment:

Estella said...

Kimberly,
What a wonderful account and I'm so glad you had the perfect words for Colin! Perfect! I always think of the right thing to say an hour later...

This summer remind me to tell you the story about how both the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny were debunked in a 5 hour period between tennis and sailing lessons. It's really quite funny. However, both kids looked at me and said "Santa is real".

We still believe in "Santa" but the requests are a little more directed to his #1 helper. :)