Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Progress




This morning I finished up a quick shawl for my girlfriend's daughter. She is making her First Communion (May can be unpredictable in NJ). I went to an all girls Catholic school and my friends that I keep in touch with I offered to make shawls for their daughters when they make their First Communion. I have visions of adding length to the shawl for their Conformation and then again more length for their wedding. The pattern that I have chosen is so quick to memorize and it really flies off your hook.  The pattern is call Seraphina and is a free pattern on Ravelry. I started this yesterday morning and it is soaking right now as I type. The pictures are of the shawl pre-blocked.

Next up is swatching for a knit pattern for Red Heart. It will be a sweater. The yarn feels soft, it has some sparkle in it.....



I also have been spinning with my new Woolee winder. Can I just say I have mad love for my new Woolee winder. I asked Mr. Fantastic for it for Mother's Day, but he thinks I have enough 'fiber machinery' (silly man) so I took matters into my own hands and ordered it myself.

The beauty of the Woolee winder is that you don't ever have to change the yarn in hooks... it saves time and winds your singles onto the bobbin in pristine fashion. The bobbins are large and you can spin and spin and spin not worrying about how it is winding up. I have heard that some reviews say that they don't care for the take-up on single drive wheels. I didn't find this at all. I have a single drive wheel and thinking there would be a lot of adjusting while I spun for the first time... it didn't happen. It was pure spinning zen, baby. I also was a bit worried about the color of the winder if it would match the stain (I have a walnut Kromski Sonata) of my wheel.... another perfect score. I love it!


2 comments:

monica said...

Wow, the shawl is beautiful and yes, sometimes we have to take matters into our own hands! :)

Haley said...

What a beautiful idea! And very lucky girls :o)
Have a great day!
Haley