Friday, January 9, 2009

Yarn Snobbery


I LOVE yarn... all types of yarn. When I first started knitting and crocheting in earnest, my favorite place to go was Michael's. It was close to my house and I could buy, and buy and buy (and usually spend about 35 to 40 dollars). It was fantastic.

I had some questions about knitting and I found a local yarn store in the town next to mine.... It was great, and my yarn pallet began to change... I remember making a shawl for one of my nieces for her First Communion and spending $40.00 on the yarn for the entire project.... it was very gradual, I didn't notice what was happening.

I now design a lot for another yarn store in my area, and the yarns in this store are one of a kind, unbelievable, and unique.... I am completely smitten, I have no words to describe the sensory overload that comes over me when I walk into that shop (not to mention the unbelievable work opportunities that have come my way!). Well, I have been known to spend $40.00 (OK, yesterday) on ONE skein of yarn. I used my Christmas gift certificate from Mr. Fantastic and I love it. It made perfect sense to me to buy it..... and I made the most beautiful sweater from it. It is as pretty to look at as it is to touch. The sweater took 2 days to make and I can't wait to make something else with the yarn. The yarn is called Maiden Hair and I can't get enough of it!



The pattern is called Chevron Lace Cardigan by Milobo and I am enchanted by the ease of the construction and speed of the project. I will be wearing it soon!


As you have seen from some of my previous posts, we are in a Stupa Bella craze here at Chez Fantastic, and Dumplin' has hopped right on the bandwagon wanting one for herself. I brought her to the yarn shop yesterday (I needed more Maiden Hair for another project! hehe) and I let her pick out her yarn (kind of a BIG mistake) It took her exactly 1 1/2 hours to pick out the perfect yarn (well she did find the perfect yarn but it was cashmere - not too shabby!). Here are her finds, I will post the finished product when it is done.... I have a few deadlines lurking! 

I have to say, for all tense and purposes, I am a yarn snob.... I can't help it, I love expensive, unique and one of a kind yarn - I did not realize it, but I am also raising one too

2 comments:

Estella said...

OMG, Kimberly, that is gorgeous! I bet it looks fantastic on you.

So fun seeing you in winter clothes when I'm used to seeing you in your bathing suit! Wouldn't recognize you with all those clothes on! LOL!

Anonymous said...

That sweater is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous!!! Nice job, Kimberly!
The yarn looks great too! :)

What do you think the attraction is for girls that age with pinks and purples? lol Same with my daughter!