Monday, June 23, 2008

Noni for Nonie



Well, I finally did it, I finished the Noni bag. I am so happy with the way this looks. I love every bit of it. I hope Nonie likes it too! I met Nonie at a party and instantly thought of this bag! How cool they are the same name (spelling is a little off, but you can't have everything.) I never made a Noni bag before, so I thought I would give this one a try. Let me refresh your memory...

The patterns are worked up in doubled 100% wool, the patterns are very easy to read and very easy to make; the pieces are then felted in the washing machine so that the stitches are no longer separate, but look like one piece of fabric. For my bag (well, not mine but Nonie's) I used Ella Rae Amity in black and red. The flower pattern is separate, but I know I will use it again, and the flower is huge! Here are some pre-felting pictures of the bag and flower.





I also used my front loading washing machine. I read a great tutorial here and I was very happy with my results. I think one of the reasons this took so long was that I was waiting for an opportunity to go to the laundromat and that never happened, so my bag just sat and sat in my knitting basket waiting to be finished.

Here is the lining. I found a great tutorial here about lining the bag, and I did that this weekend. I couldn't believe how well the fabric (I found it at A.C. Moore) matched the flower and the bag colors! The lining was fun to do and I have a few projects (well, no, one project) that I would like to do using my sewing machine, so it was good to get the big machine running! I have missed making things with my sewing machine.


Instead of attaching the flower (which you may have noticed is different from the picture on the pattern) permanently to the bag, I attached a pin backing so that Nonie can move the flower if she wants, or wear it like Carrie Bradshaw!


Voila! Here is the finished product - I LOVE it so much I was inspired to design my own, this time in crochet and I will be working on that pattern soon (that one will be for you Miki!!!)








I am beginning a new shawl design, I have picked the stitch pattern and I am working on the numbers, this one is going to be cool!! It is going to be worked in Noro sock yarn!! You know what? I finished the last Impression using the Noro sock yarn, but forgot to take a picture of it, I will get a picture next time I see it. Let me tell you, it is so beautiful - it will be worth the wait!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I love this bag! I just found your blog through Ravelry and was so excited to see you're writing a pattern for this in crochet. As of yet I don't knit and am on the hunt for great bag patterns in crochet. Really looking forward to your design!